Toshiba Materials and Kyocera Agree to Collaborate on Development and Production of Nitride Ceramic Components
June 12, 2017
Kyoto/London - Toshiba Materials Co., Ltd. (President: Kumpei Kobayashi) and Kyocera Corporation (President: Hideo Tanimoto) announced that the two companies have agreed to start full-scale collaboration on development and production of nitride ceramic components.
Used as heat-dissipating and insulating parts in power semiconductors, demand is increasing for nitride ceramic components possessing excellent thermal conductivity and mechanical properties as energy-saving requirements heighten in the automotive and railway industries. It is also expected that adoption of nitride ceramics will expand in semiconductor production equipment (SPE) as they enable precise temperature control at higher temperatures in the production process.
The two companies decided to work together in order to blend the material technologies on nitride ceramics possessed by Toshiba Materials with the special ceramic processing technologies possessed by Kyocera. The collaboration aims to achieve higher competitiveness in the ceramics market by providing highly functional products such as power semiconductor components with high heat-dissipating properties, and components for SPE that allow precise temperature control under high temperatures — both of which cannot be realized with conventional technologies.
The two companies have been working on joint development of power semiconductors and components for SPE since 2014. Having obtained good results from trial products developed out of the joint project, the companies have decided to launch full-scale collaboration. Based on this agreement, the companies will seek further possibilities through collaboration and synergy to accelerate development and commercialization by organizing a working team and joint investment.
For more information on Toshiba Materials:
Toshiba Materials Co., Ltd. was demerged from Toshiba Corporation in 2003. With material designing technology as a core, Toshiba Materials has supplied key material and key components which support development of society. Main products are metallic materials, components, fine ceramics parts and chemical materials. During the year ended March 31, 2017, the company’s net sales totaled 14 billion yen (approx. USD127 million).
Toshiba Materials Co.,Ltd. (Japan)
HR & Administration Group
Kenji Suzuki, +81-(0)3-3457-4874
For more information about Kyocera: www.kyocera.eu
- Press Release (pdf) (186.20 KB)
- KYOCERA Launches New Electronic Connectors that Feature One-Touch Locking for Automated Assembly Processes
- KYOCERA Introduces “Magic Drill DRV” for High-Speed, High-Efficiency Hole Drilling at Reduced Cost
- Inamori Foundation Announces Three Laureates of 2017 Kyoto Prize
- New KYOCERA Ceramic RFID Package With Embedded Antenna Increases Read Range up to 2X
- Toshiba Materials and Kyocera Agree to Collaborate on Development and Production of Nitride Ceramic Components
- Kyocera Announces Innovative Epoxy Molding Compound, High-Thermal-Conductive Silver Sintering Paste and Revolutionary TOROKERU Sheet
- Kyocera Display Europe Appoints Manfred Sauer President
- Kyocera, Gaia Power, Kyudenko and Tokyo Century Announce Groundbreaking of 92MW Solar Power Plant in Japan
- KYOCERA Develops World’s Smallest Crystal Unit for Smartphones, Wearables
- KYOCERA Launches Lowest Cost IoT Service in Japan in Partnership with SIGFOX
- ew KYOCERA a-Si Photoreceptor Drum for Document Equipment Improves Durability, Reduces Internal Friction by 30 Percent
- KYOCERA Named Among Top 100 Global Innovators by Clarivate Analytics
- KYOCERA Introduces New 6.2” AWVII LCD for Industrial Applications
- KYOCERA introduces new Silicon Nitride Igniter for residential Gas Furnace
- KYOCERA Corporation Names Hideo Tanimoto as New President
Manager Corporate Communications